Tuesday 17 April 2012

Blue-Banded Kingfisher

9th March 2012, Sedim, Kedah

Local Name: Pekaka Bukit

Scientific Name: Alcedo euryzona peninsulae

A male Blue-banded Kingfisher was hunting near a small waterfall. Compared to other places the chances of seeing this Kingfisher are better in the northern states of the peninsular,  and that was where I found this little guy. Sitting quietly on the rocky river bank, he would dive down to catch small fishes.

KMH_5403

KMH_5410

KMH_5417

 

KMH_5418

 

KMH_5422

 

6 comments:

  1. This is a good find. I have only recorded this species at Ulu Paip but not Sedim. Great images by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a little jewel of a bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shot! Madi ...but I want yr MP & the Ruddy in Air Itam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Ruddy still managed to elude my camera. I think the Mangrove Pittas are still there but be careful cause they might be nesting now.

      Delete